Thursday 8 January 2015

Building Bridges



“For too long, information, opportunities, and resources have been constraints; they need to be the bridges.” 
                                                                               ― Sharad Vivek Sagar


“The wisdom of bridges comes from the fact that they know the both sides, they know the both shores!” 




I haven’t always being an educator, started out with a university degree in Industrial Design and then went on to do a Master’s degree in Visual Arts but I have been one to love school and the classroom and didn’t mind teaching (conducted a lot of tutorial classes while at school). My detour into the field of education happened on a particular afternoon, I was flipping channels on TV and happened to tune into a station showing a video on “Chemical Bonding” ( still remember that clip till date). It was amazing to me how a concept that seemed so abstract to me, then, was brought to life by the use of multimedia, and I imagined the difference it would have made to my grades if only I had access to such educational media, in addition to our textbooks. So I decided I need to do something to help students learn better using the skills I had acquired in my previous fields of experience. Thus, my return back to the classroom, to study this time around, Educational Technology, even to the Doctoral level.


Every child, regardless of parental income or background can and should benefit from the gains of technology-enhanced learning. Teachers and educational institutions need to provide life transforming opportunities to their students, preparing learners for the challenges of the 21st century, providing in every possible way equal chances to succeed both in school and beyond.




What are we doing to bridge the gap between education and the global work force? Knowing it is all about what skills are required for any given vocation. I do encourage all of you to submit your comments, links and share how you are changing your classroom and how access to technology in your classroom (no matter how limited) is making a difference in how students experience and engage in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment