Sunday 30 November 2014

Microsoft and I

Microsoft and I.


Microsoft is a household name to many. Known for their products, tools or technology. First embraced by the business world and then the grand entry into the educational sector. As an educational enthusiast I have come to know Microsoft as a Friend. I am particularly tripped by the Educator Network, being a member of such a community has been a worthwhile experience.
So how did this friendship begin? Of course I had known about Microsoft for quite a number of years now, having started using the computer and been introduced to Microsoft office, to me Microsoft was just a brand name and office tools just made my work neater (a cover up for my not too good handwriting, and of course lesser spelling mistakes) but then I met the faces behind Microsoft and discovered an awesome community.
It all started on the 25th -27th of May 2010, I had the privilege of attending for the first time the Elearning Africa conference held that year in Tanzanian at the Miami Conference center where I met a very warm and friendly Microsoft representative (don't remember his name anymore but still have the pictures).


He took his time to introduce me to the PIL network and gave me an "I am a partner in learning" sticker which I still have stuck on my laptop till date. He also introduced me to Mouse Mischief , which I found quite interesting and a solution to technology integration for most of the schools in my community.
Prior to my attending the conference I had been considering topics for my doctoral thesis, that one meeting brought an end to my search for a research focus and a commencement of my field work.( I examined the effect of PowerPoint and Mouse Mischief on students learning outcome as compared to the traditional classrooms with no technology at all). Of course my institution found the technology quite novel, interesting and readily adaptable since it was a low budget intervention and yielded better learning outcomes. I have successful completed my doctoral program (although still waiting for the official conferment of a PhD in Educational Technology from University, and the title Dr.)
I would like to say a big thank you to Microsoft for saying "YES" to my dream. And for adding another feather to my hat, by selecting me as an MIEEXPERT 2015. Microsoft and I, a friendship meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment